Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Uniting for UNICEF!


    
Every Halloween, many children collect  money for UNICEF.





 UNICEF is the United Nations Children's Fund.
It was founded in 1946 to help children after World War II.
It now operates in over 150 countries all over the world and has saved
many lives!


The tradition of "Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF" began in 1950
in the United States. 



First, we dumped out the boxes and pushed the money into a big pile.







Next, we sorted the coins into categories: pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, and paper bills.  







PENNIES


TEN pennies = ONE dime

The students made stacks of ten pennies. 
Ten stacks of ten make one dollar




100 cents = $1.00






NICKELS


TWENTY nickles = ONE dollar

We had $6.00 in nickels!










DIMES


 TEN dimes = ONE dollar




We had $17.80 in DIMES.









QUARTERS

FOUR quarters = ONE dollar







 We had many stacks of 4.







The class total was a little under $100, so Mrs. Yollis added some more to bring the donation to an even hundred dollars.


How is the money used? 

According to UNICEF: 

25¢ gives 10 kids clean water to drink for a day.

$1 pays for protein biscuits for a starving child.

$17 keeps a kid safe from 6 killer diseases.

$24 supplies an emergency first aid kit.
 
$257 buys a School-in-a-Box so kids can learn anywhere.
$500 provides a water pump for a village or school. 




What did you learn from this program?

How might UNICEF use our $100 donation?

How does it feel to help someone in need?

6 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    We are surprised about raising so much money for UNICEF! I raised $4.76. Bennett didn't know his amount. In our class, we raised one hundred dollars. Four kids will get an emergency kit and a first aid kit. What other things can we get for UNICEF?


    Sincerely,
    Bennett and Se♣n

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bennett and Se♣n,

      I am so exited that we raised so much money for UNICEF! We raised about ninety-eight dollars, but Mrs. Yollis put in some MORE money so we had one hundred dollars!

      Here were the choices that were available:

      25¢ gives 10 kids clean water to drink for a day.

      $1 pays for protein biscuits for a starving child.

      $17 keeps a kid safe from 6 killer diseases.

      $24 supplies an emergency first aid kit.

      Here is the two that we couldn't buy:

      $257 buys a School-in-a-Box so kids can learn anywhere.
      $500 provides a water pump for a village or school.


      If you were one of the people who didn't have food or was thirsty, what would you want from what we can buy? I would buy the $17 one that will keep one kid from killer diseases and the 25¢ water for ONLY one day.

      We raised more quarters than any other coin or dollar bills. We got fifteen dollar bills and one five-dollar bill. We got every single type of coin except the half-dollar coin. What is your favorite coin or bill and why? My dog and my favorite coin was the shiny half-dollar coin. My dog and I like it because it is shiny as a diamond. We also like it because it is big and smooth.

      Your UNICEF-loving friend,
      Heather

      Delete
  2. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    I got so many coins. I remember bringing the Euro coin. Collin said he brought the Euro coin. I think I might have brought the Canadian coin. Did you bring any of the Immigrant coins?

    Sinserly,
    P♣rsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs.Yollis,

    I made 11 dollars and 25 cents.

    Before I went trick-or-treating I was so excited to trick-or-treat for UNICEF, but sadly I left my little trick-or-treat for UNICEF box at home. : ( But I still collected a lot of money for UNICEF.

    Mom how did you feel when you donated money to UNICEF?


    Your Giving Student,
    Savannah










































    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa (Savannah's mom)November 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM

      Dear Savannah,

      When I donated money to UNICEF I felt really good inside. It makes me happy to know that the money I donated could give water to a thirsty child or food to a hungry child. I hope my small act of kindness can help brighten someone's day!

      How does it feel to help someone? How does it feel to have someone help you?

      Love,
      Mom

      Delete
  4. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    The class in all got a lot of money. I know that I brought in $5. Do you know any one that brought more money than me?

    From,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis